Maihar city is known for the Maa Sharda devi temple (around of 502 A.D.), situated at the top of Trikoota hill which is around 5 km from the railway station. There are 1063 steps to reach the top of the hill.Alongwith stairs,there is ropeway for convenience of the pilgrims developed government authorities. Maihar Devi temple is a travel destination under the supervision of M.P. tourism, Government of Madhya Pradesh. A temple which has great relevance for the followers of Devi ma. Located atop a hill which indeed gives a very nice panoramic view of the entire range of hills and city of maihar. The cable car is a great boon for a quick visit otherwise the stair and climb is nice for the more adventure loving people.
About the city, Maihar
It is said that when lord Shiva was carrying the body of the dead mother goddess (Mai in Hindi) Sati, her necklace (har in Hindi) fell at this place and hence the name "Maihar" (Maihar = Mai+Har, meaning the "necklace of mother"). there is also one fact about Maihar, that related to famous king Alha and his brother Udal.
According to the locals of Maihar, the warriors Alha and Udal, who had war with Prithvi Raj Chauhan, were very strong followers of Sharda Devi. It is said that they are the first ones to visit the goddess in this remote forest. They called the mother goddess by the name "Sharda Mai", and henceforth she became popular as "Mata Sharda Mai". Alha worshiped for 12 years and got the amaratva with the blessings of Sharda Devi. Behind the temple and downhill is Alha Pond. The people of Maihar believe that Alha is still alive and comes at 4:00 a.m. to worship the Goddess Sharda.
Address: Maa Sharda Temple, Maihar, Santa district, Madhya Pradesh, India, Pin–485771.
Timings of the Temple:
The temple is open from 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
Best time to visit:
Anytime of the year but preferably from October to March to avoid hot summers.
How to Reach:
Maihar is famous for Maa Sharda Devi temple and the place is full of spiritual travellers even on a working day. Maihar city is known for the Maa Sharda devi temple situated at the top of Trikoota hill which is around 5 km from the railway station. There are 1063 steps to reach the top of the hill.
- By Air: There are no regular flights from other major cities of the country to Maihar. Nearest airport is Khajuraho Airport.
- By Rail: Maihar is well connected to other major cities of the country via regular trains. Railway Station(s): Maihar (MYR)
- By Bus: You can easily get regular buses to Maihar from other major cities of the country.
- Gola Math Temple : This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. This east facing Pancharathi temple is built in Nagara style and has been built during Kalchuri period(10th 11th century A.D.). It is said that this temple was built in one fortnight only.
- Art Ichol: Developed recently in 2014, this fantastic art work gallery is a must visit in Maihar. Situated in Satna Road this is barely 5kms from the town.