Shani Shingnapur is a very popular and known village, situated in Nevasa taluka in Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. The village is known for its popular temple of Shani, the Hindu god associated with the planet (graha) Saturn. Shingnapur is 35 km from Ahmednagar city.
Interesting facts about the place:
Shingnapur is famous for the fact that no house in the village has doors, only door frames. It is believed that Shani dev himself take care of the place.
The temple is believed to be a "jagrut devasthan" (lit. "alive temple"), meaning that a deity still resides in the temple icon. Villagers believe that god Shani punishes anyone attempts theft.
The deity here is "Swayambhu" ( self-evolved deity) that is self emerged from earth in form of black, imposing stone.
Architecture - Not a conventional temple architecture, but a single 5 feet stone mounted on a raised platform of 3-4 feet in an open environment.
Website - http://www.shanidev.com
Address: Ahamadnagar, Maharashtra
Contact No. 02427 238110 , 02427 238108
History & Significance of the Temple
It is believed that once a Shepherd touched the stone with a pointed rod, the stone started bleeding. The shepherds were astounded. Soon the whole village gathered around to watch the miracle. On that night Lord Shanaishwara appeared in the dream of the most devoted and pious of the shepherds.
He told the shepherd that he is "Shanaishwara". He also told that the unique looking black stone is his swayambhu form. The shepherd prayed and asked the lord whether he should construct a temple for him. To this, Lord Shani Mahatma said there is no need for a roof as the whole sky is his roof and he preferred to be under open sky. He asked the shephered to do daily pooja and 'Tailabhisheka' every Saturday without fail. He also promised the whole hamlet will have no fear of dacoits or burglars or thieves.
Worship Timing :
Devotees can visit Shani Shingnapurtemple 24 x 7; all days of the week 12:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
How to Reach:
- By Air: . The nearest airport to Shani Shingnapur is Aurangabad airport located at a distance of 90 km. Airport at Nasik is situated 144 km away.
- By Train: The nearest railway stations to Shani Shingnapur are Rahuri (32 km), Ahmednagar (35 km), and Shrirampur (54 km), Shirdi Railway Station (75 km). One can avail trains from these stations to varied destinations. One has to take auto-rickshaws, taxis, other private vehicles or local buses to reach the temple village.
- By Road: Shani Shingnapur in Ahmednagar District is easily accessible by road. It is situated 6 km away from Godhegaon on the Aurangabad – Ahmednagar Rd. A tar motorable road from this place leads directly to Shri Shanaiswar Temple. This road remains open all around the year.
Top attractions near the temple:
- Shirdi: At around 70 km from Shani Shinganapur, Shirdi is situated which is the famous place of Shri Sai Baba. Saibaba has spent most of him life in Shirdi Village. Millions of visitors daily visit Shirdi temple to take blessings from Sai Baba.
- Sakori: At about 69 km northwest of Shingnapur, Sakori is located and is renowned for its Upasani Kanyakumari Sthan. The place has a lot of positive energy and can be felt by anyone.
- Ajanta and Ellora Caves: The Ajanta and Ellora caves are considered as the greatest historical monument in the Maharashtra, India; which are located at about 79 km southwest from Shinganapur.
- Nashik: Nashik city is positioned and is famous for its religious culture. There are many places to see in the Nashik city; some of which include Muktidham, Pandavleni Caves, Sula Vineyards, Kalaram Temple, Naroshankar Temple, Sundarnarayan Temple, Shri Kailas Math etc.